Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) is used for a variety of mental illnesses and mood disorders. It has a myriad of benefits for those who are suffering from depression. It is also worth looking into if prescription medications don’t work for you or a loved one.
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Benefits
Below is a list of benefits you will receive from undergoing TMS:
- TMS, a relatively safe treatment, is well-tolerated and is best for those with depression.
- TMS allows you to have a medication-free alternative. There are little to no side effects with TMS. Other types of treatment such as medications can cause tiredness, memory loss, weight gain, upset stomach, and sexual problems, among others.
- Only few, light side effects are experienced with TMS. This includes mild discomfort in the area of the scalp where TMS is administered.
- TMS is a non-systemic type of therapy. The patient’s bloodstream is not affected in any way whatsoever.
- With TMS, the patient does not need to be hospitalized. There is no need for a long recovery time. In addition, there is a less of a financial burden since you don’t need to stay in the hospital for an extended period of time. A patient who has undergone TMS can immediately go home after the therapy.
- TMS is available for all people who are 18 years old and above.
- TMS currently is being researched for various uses. It is being researched as a treatment for diseases such as Stroke, Tinnitus, Parkinson’s Disease, and Pain.
- It is administered by certified TMS physicians and certified TMS technicians. Thus, the patient is assured of the efficiency of the entire procedure.
- There are TMS devices approved by the FDA. Thus you are sure the procedure is safe.
- TMS patients do not require anesthetic procedures before the actual process is done. Thus, risk of cardiac or respiratory arrest is not present.
- Memory loss is not a side effect of TMS. This is as opposed to electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) which can cause both short-term and long-term memory loss.
- It improves motor symptoms in patients who have Parkinson’s Disease (PD)
TMS can’t be given to patients who have metal objects in their heads. Similarly, patients who have metallic ink tattoos and tattoos that respond to magnetic forces are not allowed to undergo TMS. Those who have dental fillings or braces can undergo TMS.
TMS is a procedure with a lot of benefits. It can be used to treat a variety of disorders. If you are suffering from a particular type of disorder or mental illness, you should contact a certified professional regarding TMS. You don’t have to get bogged down by serious side effects caused by prescription medications. You can try TMS as an alternative or a supplement to your current therapy.
For more information on TMS, visit or contact TMS of the Palm Beaches here. Contact us today!
Accomplished Physician with numerous certifications and years of experience in Substance Abuse Treatment and Internal Medicine. Strong understanding of the importance of the implementation of Medical Protocols in the effective treatment of Substance Use Disorder. Known as an early adopter who thinks “outside the box”, and is always actively involved in finding new innovative therapeutic and diagnostic modalities, utilizing the latest cutting edge technology, to help find a solution to the current addictions epidemic that is rampant throughout the nation.
- Board Certified Internal Medicine Physician Licensed in FL.
- SAMHSA certification for Suboxone (Waivered for 200 patients) – 2015
- Buprenorphine Training Activity v4.0
- Neurostar University Certified TMS Treater Certification
- ECFMG Certification – 2003