Depression is a major epidemic not only in the U.S. but globally as well. It has debilitated many of the people who have this condition. These people cannot properly perform daily tasks due to clinical depression. This often leads to serious financial, relationship, business, and work consequences.
A lot of treatments have been developed for depression. These include counselling, physiotherapy, prescribed medications, and even natural, holistic therapies. But, one effective way to manage and treat depression is called the Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation System (TMS System). It is more often referred to simply as TMS.
On This Page
What Is A Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation System (TMS System)?
The TMS system is a comprehensive procedure of stimulating specific brain regions. During these procedures, a coil is placed near the patient’s head. Through electromagnetic induction, the coil undergoes through the production of small electric currents to stimulate targeted regions of the brain. A stimulator (or pulse generator) is linked to the coil. The stimulator is used to deliver its electric current for stimulation.
TMS is usually utilized for measuring brain and muscle connection. This measure is used to evaluate damage from movement disorders, stroke, multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, and motor neuron diseases. It is also used to measure the damage from the spinal cord and facial and cranial nerves.
What Are The Benefits Of TMS?
TMS is a non-invasive procedure used to treat depression. The only FDA-cleared and FDA-approved brand is NeuroStar TMS Therapy. Below are the benefits you can gain from using this system:
- It is an effective treatment for patients who do not satisfactorily respond to prior antidepressant medications.
- It has an impressive result in clinical trials. 50% of patients had major improvements with regards to their symptoms. Plus, 33.33% of clients experienced complete resolution of their symptoms.
- It doesn’t result to certain side effects common in other types of therapy. These side effects include nausea, dry mouth, sedation, sexual dysfunction, and weight gain. This leads to increased patient comfort and disposition. And it further provides significant patient improvement exponentially.
- It has a higher benefit/ risk ration in comparison to other alternatives (e.g. prescription medications).
- People who undergo the TMS system are associated with less use of drugs, doctor visits, and hospitalizations.
- It is a non-invasive procedure. Patients do not undergo anesthesia, surgery, or any type of sedation.
- TMS results to less magnetic exposure compared to patients who undergo MRI.
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation System is great for those who have clinical depression. The only side effect of this system is a mild discomfort in the scalp or area of the head stimulated by the coil. Seizures are rarely associated with patients using this therapy as well.
If you have a friend or a family member who experiences major debilitating depression, TMS can be an option. It is best to talk to your doctor (or any professional) in order to know the eligibility for TMS therapy. If you want to know more information regarding TMS therapy, contact us with any questions or to make an appointment.